Monday, September 28, 2009

Price tags & Shopaholics

Hello, my name is Megan and I am a shopaholic. Yes, you must be thinking... how is she a shopaholic if she is broke but indeed I am! Thankfully my parents do not read my blog because if they did my phone would be ringing the second I post this and I would hear those dreadful words... "see your parents are always right" or "did you really need to buy that?"  I would always come from from the local Goodwill, my favorite consignment shop,and or expensive boutique with my amazing finds.  Whether cheap or expensive I always found a way to justify everything. Now that I am broke... yes, I am broke... my bank account statement today is $3.41 in checking and $4.22 in savings (please do not tell my grandparents) I still somehow find away to be cheap & chic. 


Shoppers today have a common misconception that you must wear designer labels to have status.  I once believed that too  but now I see the truth. It is one thing to have the latest designer fashions but another to look like rich b$tch... which I most certainly am  not. I admit I do have designer shoes, clothes, and accessories but they are not what define me (take in mind I either bought them at a vintage shop for way less that retail and even wholesale cost or had an employee discount). What defines me is my own sense of style and how I can combine things that cost one dollar with others that cost a couple hundred.  Now that I am  no longer making money I have to be more careful with how I spend it. Now instead of debating do I buy these Gucci shoes or that Chanel lipstick it's do I buy frozen cherries or ice cream which one is cheaper and which will last longer? My priorities have shifted. No longer do I live a care free lifestyle spending as I please... these days it is budget budget budget broke. None the less I am indeed a shopaholic.
 

My latest obsession are the vintage flea markets in Brooklyn where I just moved. Some of the items are antiques so they are more costly but there are some great bargains on vintage clothing and accessories.  Last time I was there it was one dollar shoes and $10 for a beautifully beaded cashmere sweater... it doesn't get much better than that! Also, my roommates and I have been looking for an old mannequin but have had horrible luck.  Some stores asking prices were $200-$400 and we even tried convincing the Goodwill to sell us theirs but they insisted it was not for sale. Luckily at this flea market was an old and I mean VERY old mannequin caught my eye. She was rusty, dirty, the perfect size form, and best of all she was only $3o. SHUT UP! I could not believe my ears. My sister Lauren and brother Justin bought if for me as a late birthday present. Thank goodness we did not cough up $200 for a mannequin in that rip off of a store... I would be even more broke than I am now.


Readers money will come later and so will success so just keep your head up. Sometimes it is hard and you have to make choices on how to spend your money and whether or not you should go to that bar or party tonight or even buy that great pair of Christian Dior shoes but HEY we all have to make sacrifices time and time again.  Designer goods are classic, memorable, and sometimes just make you giddy like a school girl but do we really need them all the time? Maybe try indulging in vintage goods, cupcake, or chai tea.  Pinching pennies can be tough and yes I have not saved a lot or even at all but I vow to pinch a little bit harder and indulge less.  

Shopaholics rich or poor pinch your pennies for something you really want and what I really want is Paris... so its time to PINCH THEM PENNIES even if it means running into traffic to get that quarter or dime for my wallet. Good luck readers and remember to look both ways before dodging for that stray cash in the road :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment