Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cause you got to have FAITH



Fashion week is the time for designers to showcase their collections to viewers in hopes of "making it big", getting their opinion/ view out there, and sharing their passion with the world. Designer Manuel De La Cruz  launched his Spring 2010 at the Altman Building in Chelsea with a line of viewers out the door waiting to get in. Industry professionals, friends, and followers all waited patiently in a little drizzle... not caring about their hair, makeup, or designer shoes the only thing on everyones mind was, Faith.

This years collection was called "Faith" and I had the opportunity to ask Manuel what was his inspiration behind the collection. His response was:
The inspiration came from my grandmother and her devotion to her religion, she's a catholic lady who believes in saints and I remembered when I was a kid she had all these images and statues of saints in her house and with my family used to visit churches all around Guatemala, as a child I was afraid of those statues... hahaha... but then I started to appreciate their art and started to take a look of people and their faith... the reason I call the collection faith.


It became apparent as the first model strutted down the runway that these clothes were impeccable and designed by someone who knew both the man and woman's figure. Details on the clothing, such as beaded crosses, shimmered as the models moved, along with their layered silver rosaries.   The colors were dark and clean and gave the looks a classy, sexy, sophisticated,and mysterious edge.  Here is what Manuel had to say about his color selection:

I've never been a color person... I feel very secure in neutral palettes and my favorite is black, so I had to translate this into my selection and became a very natural and neutral tones, beiges, gray, khaki, white, off white, black with little touches of red and green.


On goers left the show smiling, clapping, and wanting more so I had to ask him... WHAT IS NEXT FOR MANUEL DE LA CRUZ?

I'm already working on two projects, a line of high end tee shirts: Using as well very natural and neutral palette of colors with contrasting black images in silk jerseys, very soft and chic. The inspiration it's an evolution from my spring summer 10 collection and we are planning to have it available online in march next year.
Of course I'm working on my fall 10. I'm getting my inspiration from the book Daniel from the Bible, so, it's as well an evolution from faith.... sounds very religious but also there's a part of this collection where I'm being inspired by Mayan Art... well, I'm still working on my research and images and putting everything together, but for sure the lines of the collection will remain the same, will focus on outwear, tailored suits, cocktail dresses and maybe .... if the time is right add evening gowns to the collection.
Well... needless to say i am ECSTATIC for Manuel's up coming tees and collection and cannot wait to see his vision of Mayan art paired with Christian faith! I have never been a religious follower or firm believer in one particular religion... I have however always had an appreciation and understanding for others views on God and faith. I think it is safe to say that I have found my own religion. That religion is Manuel De La Cruz!!!


Runway photos by Patrick Scudder

No comments:

Post a Comment